Over the years, she has shared her views on Hollywood and being an actress, her co-stars and directors, God, and her Irish background.
Maureen O’Hara was born August 17, 1920 in Ranelagh, Dublin, and went on to become a screen legend in Hollywood. The stunning beauty starred in such classic films as “The Quiet Man,” “How Green Was My Valley,” “Miracle on 34th Street,” and “The Parent Trap.”
Here are our top ten favorite quotes from the Irish actress:
1. “My heritage has been my grounding, and it has brought me peace.”
2. “After I got to Hollywood, I resented that I didn’t get a crack at more dramatic roles because I photographed so beautifully.”
3. “Lost in a crowd of greats, not a single Oscar. That’s showbiz.”
4. “I watch and listen to movies today and am shocked by the way actors deliver their lines. Everybody mumbles now and I don’t understand why.”
5. “There’s a terrible truth for many women in the picture business: Aging typically takes its toll and means fewer and less desirable roles.”
6. On John Wayne: “Speaking as an actress, I wish all actors would be more like Duke–and speaking as a person, it would be nice if all people could be honest and as genuine as he is. This is a real man.”
Complete text linked here.