December 17, 2017

UH OH! NBC Made Payment to Staffer After Chris Matthews Accused of Sexual Harassment

It looks like Barack Obama isn’t the only person who gives Chris Matthews a tingling sensation up his leg.

NBC confirmed Saturday through a spokesman the company made a payment to a Chris Matthews employee after she complained about sexual harassment.

Via Amber Athey of The Daily Caller:

Two sources familiar with the situation told The Daily Caller that Matthews paid $40,000 to settle with an assistant producer on his show, “Hardball with Chris Matthews,” in 1999 after she accused him of harassment. An NBC spokesperson contested that claim to the Caller, saying the company instead paid significantly less as part of a severance package.

The woman reportedly complained to CNBC executives that Chris Matthews would make inappropriate comments and jokes in front of fellow colleagues.

An MSNBC spokesman said Matthews’ comments were meant to be taken as jokes, not propositions; he was formally reprimanded, reported Athey.

The woman received a “separation-related” compensation:

[…]

Complete text linked here.

December 16, 2017

Glowing Auras and ‘Black Money’: The Pentagon’s Mysterious U.F.O. Program (Video)

Most of the money went to an aerospace research company run by a billionaire entrepreneur and longtime friend of Mr. Reid’s, Robert Bigelow, who is currently working with NASA to produce expandable craft for humans to use in space.

In the $600 billion annual Defense Department budgets, the $22 million spent on the Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program was almost impossible to find.

Which was how the Pentagon wanted it.

For years, the program investigated reports of unidentified flying objects, according to Defense Department officials, interviews with program participants and records obtained by The New York Times. It was run by a military intelligence official, Luis Elizondo, on the fifth floor of the Pentagon’s C Ring, deep within the building’s maze.

The Defense Department has never before acknowledged the existence of the program, which it says it shut down in 2012. But its backers say that, while the Pentagon ended funding for the effort at that time, the program remains in existence. For the past five years, they say, officials with the program have continued to investigate episodes brought to them by service members, while also carrying out their other Defense Department duties.

[…]

Complete text and video linked here.

YouTube Quarantines Martin Luther King Jr. Video as ‘Supremacist’

YouTube restricted access to a video produced by the Capital Research Center, apparently for promoting Martin Luther King Jr.’s dangerous ideas on equality.

Complete text linked here.

MSU scholars find $21 trillion in unauthorized government spending; Defense Department to conduct first-ever audit

“Taken together these reports point to a failure to comply with basic constitutional and legislative requirements for spending and disclosure,” the column concludes. “We urge the House and Senate Budget Committee to initiate immediate investigations of unaccounted federal expenditures as well as the source of their payment.”

Earlier this year, a Michigan State University economist, working with graduate students and a former government official, found $21 trillion in unauthorized spending in the departments of Defense and Housing and Urban Development for the years 1998-2015.

The work of Mark Skidmore and his team, which included digging into government websites and repeated queries to U.S. agencies that went unanswered, coincided with the Office of Inspector General, at one point, disabling the links to all key documents showing the unsupported spending. (Luckily, the researchers downloaded and stored the documents.)

Now, the Department of Defense has announced it will conduct the first department-wide, independent financial audit in its history (read the Dec. 7 announcement here).

The Defense Department did not say specifically what led to the audit. But the announcement came four days after Skidmore discussed his team’s findings on USAWatchdog, a news outlet run by former CNN and ABC News correspondent Greg Hunter.

[…]

Complete text linked here.

‘Free-for-all’ at U.S. border reveals disturbing trend

Agents ‘shocked’ by high numbers of illegal crossers from 2 specific countries.

The so-called “Trump effect” at the U.S. southern border is becoming a bygone memory as border agents are again being overwhelmed by foreign nationals of all stripes seeking asylum.

It’s no secret the number of apprehensions fell sharply in the first three months of President Trump’s administration, bottoming out in April as the human traffickers feared being caught and prosecuted by an administration that talked tough on the need to staunch the flow of illegal migration.

But in May the number of illegal crossings started rising again, according to immigration experts and border-patrol agents in the field.

“We’re getting those family units again. They’re getting bus rides just like before at taxpayer expense to their destination of choice,” a U.S. Border Patrol agent told WND.

These illegal crossers are given a notice to show up at a later date to an immigration court hearing, but the vast majority are no-shows. They disappear into Chicago, Atlanta, San Francisco, L.A., or some other city.

Most of the families and UACs are coming from Guatemala and other parts of Central America.

But disturbing numbers of Asians, mostly from India and Pakistan, are also arriving at the border seeking asylum.

[…]

Complete text linked here.

Bundy case defendants turn tables on FBI, demand compensation

Acquitted of charges, 2 file damages for actions by authorities.

It’s not like the FBI isn’t under fire already, with its unwillingness to refer charges against Hillary Clinton amid evidence she mishandled classified information and the investigation by mostly Clinton-supporting investigators into allegations the Trump campaign colluded with Russia in the 2016 election.

Now, there’s another issue: Two men acquitted of charges in the 2014 Bunkerville, Nevada, standoff involving rancher Cliven Bundy are suing the FBI and former Director James Comey for “malicious prosecution,” claiming the bureau presented false evidence in their case and destroyed exculpatory evidence.

Montana resident Ricky Lovelien and Idaho resident Steven Stewart were cleared of 10 charges they faced but spent a year-and-a-half in jail without bail, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported.

They were accused of driving from other states to Bunkerville to support Bundy, who was under fire from the government for allegedly trying to halt federal agents from rounding up his cattle.

Now lawsuits have been filed on their behalf by lawyer Larry Klayman under the Federal Tort Claims Act.

[…]

Complete text linked here.

December 15, 2017

Portland’s Disgraceful Anarchy

A city’s besieged businesses close rather than deal with unchecked urban degradation.

The disorder that has long dominated the streets of Portland, Oregon reached a new low earlier this month, when Columbia Sportswear, a major retailer headquartered just outside of nearby Beaverton, had to close its flagship store downtown for a day after protestors blocked shoppers from entering. The protestors were reacting to an op-ed by Tim Boyle, Columbia’s CEO, in which he confessed that relocating his company to downtown Portland may have been a mistake, citing the crimes and indecencies his employees have endured, including “daily defecation” by transients in the store’s lobby. Certain repeat offenders of the city’s vagrant population, along with other agitators, have issued death threats and broken into cars; one Columbia employee had to run into moving traffic after a stranger followed her and threatened to kill her.

Boyle, who is considering closing his store permanently, was right to call these events “outrageous and unacceptable,” yet Portland mayor Ted Wheeler has offered excuses rather thanconfronting the issue. On Thursday, Wheeler blamed his city’s wave of homelessness on the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development, attacking Secretary Ben Carson for failing to “provide solutions.” Meanwhile, the city has been reluctant to deploy the crime-prevention resources that it already has at its disposal to address the homelessness wave.

[…]

Complete text linked here.

Last Word on the Famous Wild Bunch Photo

One of the most famous historical photographs in Texas history. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid along with other members of “The Wild Bunch” in Fort Worth, 1900. It was this photograph that led to their downfall when it was seen by a detective in a Fort Worth photography studio.

The iconic November 1900 image shows the Fort Worth Five, including Harvey Logan, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. But little has been written about the photographer or about the detective who discovered the photo.

It is one of the most famous photographs in Western history. Five well-dressed outlaws gaze into the camera—two of them destined to be immortalized 69 years later in the Paul Newman–Robert Redford film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. They since have been dubbed the “Fort Worth Five,” as they sat for the portrait in a Fort Worth, Texas, studio. But the identity of the photographer and the story of how the picture became a national phenomenon are equal parts myth and misinformation. Interviewed in the August 2008 issue of Wild West, Bob McCubbin, a noted collector of Old West photographs and then-president of the Wild West History Association, repeated the old canards that the photographer had placed the image “in his studio window” and made copies “for distribution to law enforcement around the country,” neither of which is true. Following is the real story, told for the first time, of how five outlaws came to have their picture taken in a Fort Worth studio on a November day in 1900—and why a sixth man and seventh man were just as important toward making that photograph an icon of Western history.

[…]

Complete text linked here.

Don’t spare the horses: how the Battle of Waterloo became a stage sensation

When Napoleon’s defeat was retold at Philip Astley’s Amphitheatre in 1824 – complete with handsome equine stars, orchestra and explosions – it dazzled audiences and set the pattern for military drama.

Philip Astley really knew about horses. He’d been a sergeant major with the Light Dragoons, teaching animals and cavalrymen “evolutions” – drill – so they could manoeuvre the many hooves and massive tonnages of horseflesh that 18th-century armies used to haul cannon and supplies – and to attack, mounted, with a kinetic whump of speed. He opened a riding school in the south London fields of Lambeth, then went into showbiz, erecting a performing space south of Westminster Bridge, slowly building it up into Astley’s Amphitheatre, with a very wide proscenium arch stage behind what we’d recognise as a circus ring of fresh pale sawdust.

Astley returned to the army as a horsemaster at the outbreak of the wars with France in 1793, and until his death in 1814, sent back updates on cavalry warfare, and ideas for equine scenes, including a hunt with a real fox. The amphitheatre put on acrobats and strongmen circus-style as acts, but during the Napoleonic wars, the big draws began to be “spectaculars” – scripted shows where the action was integrated into a plot, many borrowing their glamour, and sometimes personnel, from military display: its uniforms and band-music, the noise, smell and smoke of gunpowder, and, of course, those horses.

[…]

Complete text linked here.

Obama State Dept Made Deal With Hillary Allowing Removal Of Records. Here’s What They Removed

“We already know the Obama State Department let Hillary Clinton steal and then delete her government emails, which included classified information,” Fitton said in a statement. “But these new records show that was only part of the scandal. These new documents show the Obama State Department had a deal with Hillary Clinton to hide her calls logs and schedules, which would be contrary to FOIA and other laws.”

Newly-revealed documents obtained by conservative watchdog Judicial Watch reveal that the Obama State Department allowed Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and her top aide Huma Abedin to remove sensitive documents that were not to be made public records.

Judicial Watch received the records on Thursday in response to a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request that sought all DS-1904 forms completed by or on behalf of Former Secretary Hillary Clinton, Former Chief of Staff Cheryl Mills, Former Deputy Chief of Staff Huma Abedin, and Former Deputy Chief of Staff Jacob Sullivan.

Clinton and Abedin were permitted to remove both electronic and physical records, claiming “they were ‘personal’ materials and ‘unclassified, non-record materials,’ including files of Clinton’s calls and schedules, which were not to be made public.”

Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton noted the gravity of the latest revelations, stating they showed further corruption in the Obama administration and with Clinton.

[…]

Complete text linked here.