Category Archives: Law & Courts

February 9, 2018

Mexican Gang Member Kills Colorado Springs Deputy, Injures Three Others in Shooting

One Colorado deputy was killed and three other law enforcement officials were shot in Colorado Springs on Monday night.

Deputy Micah Flick left behind a wife and 7-year-old twins.

The shooter Manuel Zetina 19 was also killed in the shooting.

Deputy Micah Flick left behind a wife and 7-year-old twins.

The shooter Manuel Zetina 19 was also killed in the shooting.

KOAA reported:

Flick was shot and killed Monday afternoon in Colorado Springs near the intersection of Galley and N. Murray around 4 p.m. Monday. He was rushed to Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Deputy Flick is survived by his wife and 7-year old twins, a boy and a girl.

Sheriff Elder described Flick as a great deputy, father, husband, and a great friend to so many. Flick grew up in Colorado Springs, he was a graduate of the Colorado Springs Christian School, and spent 11 years with the sheriff’s office.

[…]

Complete text linked here.

Bank fined $368M for laundering drug money at border branches

“Rabobank had an obligation to shine light on suspected drug traffickers, money launderers and organized crime,” U.S. Attorney Adam Braverman said in a statement. “Instead, this bank deliberately allowed hundreds of millions of dollars of suspicious cash transactions and wire transfers to flow through its branches and took measures to hide this activity from regulators.”

A Netherlands-based bank has agreed to forfeit more than hundreds of millions of dollars for laundering drug money at branches near the California border with Mexico.

The company admitted that several of its Southern California border-area branches laundered money for international drug traffickers, failed to properly investigate the suspicious transactions and then deceived and obstructed federal investigators who were on the verge of discovering the illicit activity.

On Wednesday, the bank pleaded guilty to a felony conspiracy charge in U.S. District Court in San Diego and agreed to forfeit more than $368 million, the largest financial penalty ever levied in a federal courtroom in the San Diego region.

The massive forfeiture sum corresponds to the estimated amount of suspicious transactions that went unchecked over a four-year period, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported.

[…]

Complete text linked here.

Authorities Bust Ohio Heroin Trafficking Ring Involving Illegal Immigrants (Video)

“We need help from our government. We need our government to come in and do some workplace enforcement. We need to send a message,” Jones said. “We have a real poor governor here — Gov. Kasich — who encourages all these people to come in to the state of Ohio. He calls it an act of love.

At least half of the suspects apprehended in a major drug bust last month in Cincinnati were reportedly in the United States illegally, Laura Ingraham said Wednesday night.

Federal authorities say Armando Reyes-Cortez, Annel Reyes-Valdes and Armando Gonzalez-Rosas — all reportedly undocumented immigrants — were part of a large heroin trafficking operation in the Cincinnati area, engaging in a conspiracy to possess and distribute more than 1,000 grams of heroin.

Butler County Sheriff Richard Jones told Ingraham that this was the fourth big drug bust in the area.

“They had thousands of hits of heroin, cocaine, guns … thousands of dollars,” Jones said, adding that drugs are “destroying” the community.

[…]

Complete text and video linked here.

February 6, 2018

Rep. Paul Gosar calls for ‘criminal prosecution’ of former top FBI, DOJ officials after release of Nunes memo

Gosar said in a statement to the Washington Examiner that the former director and deputy FBI director, and two former deputy attorneys general “have made a mockery of the FBI.”

Rep. Paul Gosar, R-Ariz., called for the criminal prosecution of multiple former FBI and Justice Department officials after the release Friday of the Republican memo about surveillance of a Trump campaign adviser.

Gosar said in a statement posted to Twitter Friday that he will be co-authoring a letter to Attorney General Jeff Sessions seeking the “criminal prosecution” of former FBI Director James Comey, former Deputy FBI Director Andrew McCabe, former Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein for their “illegal misconduct and abuse of FISA.”

“I will be leading a letter to the Attorney General seeking criminal prosecution against these traitors to our nation,” Gosar said in a statement.

[…]

Complete text linked here.

Students’ Union Campaign ‘Has Become Vehicle for Extremist Interests’, Warns Think Tank

A National Union for Students (NUS) campaign to abolish the government’s anti-extremism programme has become a “vehicle” for Islamic extremist interests, according to a leading think tank.

Students Not Suspects, which became an NUS official policy in 2015, has hosted extremist speakers who have links to Islamic fundamentalists such as CAGE, MEND, the Islamic Human Rights Commission (IHRC), and Friends of al-Aqsa, according to the report published Wednesday by the counter-extremism think tank The Henry Jackson Society.

“‘Students Not Suspects’ has effectively become a vehicle for extremist interests,” author Richard Black warns. “It advances extremist tropes, extremist speakers and extremist narratives – all the while attacking anybody, NUS officials or otherwise, who distance themselves from its position.”

“They have accused critics and fellow students of being motivated by racism and Islamophobia,” the report adds, and noted that some activists involved in Students Not Suspects have previously made anti-Semitic remarks and still enjoy influence in the union.

In March 2015, the Counter-Terrorism and Security Act (CTSA) imposed a duty on public bodies to pay “due regard to the need to prevent individuals from being drawn into terrorism”; this is relevant to universities given, as the report notes, the number of students convicted of terrorism offences, and several radicalised foreign fighters who have studied at British universities.

[…]

Complete text linked here.

February 5, 2018

Trump on Countries Refusing Their Nationals: ‘We’ll Tariff Their Goods, They’ll Take Them Back in Two Seconds’

President Donald Trump says he is committed to sanctioning and placing tariffs on foreign countries who refuse to take back their nationals after being deported from the United States.

In a meeting with State Department, Defense Department, and Homeland Security officials, Trump promised to put tariffs on the goods of countries and sanction others that refused their nationals in an “America First” initiative that past administrations under President George W. Bush and President Barack Obama failed to implement.

Trump said:

But if they don’t take them back, we’ll put sanctions on the countries. We’ll put tariffs on the countries. They’ll take them back so fast your head will spin. We’ll just tariff their goods coming in, and they’ll take them back in two seconds. You have a lot of people from those countries, and they’ll take them back.

We’ve had a very weak policy. We bring them back; they say, “We don’t want them.” And why should they? They killed five people. Why would they want them? And we will do something with regard to sanctions and tariffs, where they will — your head will spin how fast they get taken back. Okay? Every country is the same.

[…]

Complete text linked here.

Father of 11-Year-Old Terror Victim Ebba Akerlund to Sue Swedish Government

The father of 11-year-old Ebba Akerlund, who was horribly killed during the Stockholm terror attack last year, has announced he will be looking to sue the Swedish government or the city of Stockholm for not doing enough to prevent the attack.

Thomas Bodström, the lawyer for the father of the victim, said that his client is seeking damages from either the Swedish government or the city of Stockholm, saying that he wants the government to take responsibility for the death of his daughter, Swedish broadcaster SVT reports.

The main contention of the victim’s father is that the concrete lions that line the Drottninggatan street where the attack took place were insufficient to prevent the attack.

“It has emerged in the preliminary investigation, it appears that these lions are too light,” Bodström said.

According to Bodström, the father of the victim is not as much interested in the trial of the alleged terrorist, rejected bogus asylum seeker Rakhmat Akilov, as he is in the government’s role in the event.

[…]

Complete text linked here.

February 4, 2018

Previously Deported Mexican National Convicted of Raping 9-Year-Old Girl in Sanctuary City

An Oregon jury convicted a previously deported Mexican national of sexually assaulting a nine-year-old girl. The convicted child-rapist has a history of crimes in the U.S.

The little girl’s mother told law enforcement officials in Clackamas County last year that a man broke into their 9 and 5-year-old daughters’ bedroom. The man came through the window of their apartment at night on February 25 and sexually assaulted their daughter. Although he escaped through a window, law enforcement officials were able to find his fingerprints, KATU2 in Portland, Oregon reported.

Breitbart Texas reported that federal officers arrested 48-year-old Santiago Flores-Martinez when he was trying to cross back into Mexico in late April. The port’s Anti-Terrorism Contraband Enforcement Team (A-TCET) apprehended the Mexican national at the San Ysidro port of entry. San Ysidro is a district within the City of San Diego and is on the California-Mexico border near Tijuana.

Officials identified Flores-Martinez when they retrieved biometric information on him via the “Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System” (IAFIS).

Police began searching for the accused child rapist on April 25.

Fox 12 Oregon reported the jury found Flores-Martinez guilty on charges that include first-degree sex abuse, attempted rape, burglary, and coercion. His sentencing hearing is scheduled to begin on Monday.

The convicted child rapist has used the aliases “Felipe Coeto” and “Isidro Ramos Flores.”

[…]

Complete text linked here.

February 3, 2018

Oxford professor charged with raping two women

Tariq Ramadan, adviser to the UK government, held in custody over French hotel attack claims.

The prominent Swiss academic Tariq Ramadan, a professor of contemporary Islamic studies at the University of Oxford, has been charged with rape and ordered to remain in custody in France.

Ramadan, 55, is being held on charges of rape and rape of a vulnerable person after two women accused him of violently assaulting them in hotel rooms in Lyon and Paris in 2009 and 2012 after conferences.

Ramadan, a Swiss citizen whose grandfather Hassan al-Banna founded Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood movement, was taken into custody on Wednesday as part of a preliminary inquiry in Paris.

A regular face on French television, he is the most prominent figure to be held in France after the women, emboldened by the #MeToo campaign to stamp out sexual assault and harassment, went to the police.

The professor – who made his name as an author and commentator on modern Islam, as well as advising successive British governments on Islam and society – has denied the separate accusations by the two women.

[…]

Complete text linked here.

Suspended male student sues Yale for ‘gender bias’

The student is the fourth male student to file suit against Yale for gender discrimination since 2011. The lawsuit contends that two female students conspired to allege that he had groped them.

A junior at Yale University is suing his school after a Title IX investigation found him guilty of false allegations of “groping” and “creating a hostile academic environment.”

The student — identified in the lawsuit as John Doe — was suspended for two semesters after he was accused of groping two female students. He is the fourth male student to file suit against Yale alleging gender discrimination since 2011.

The lawsuit contends that Doe was accused by two longtime female friends who colluded to allege that he groped them, citing that the two complaints were filed “only minutes apart” in September 2017, both alleging misconduct in 2016.

During the hearing, Sally Roe and Jane Roe were discovered to be communicating by text messages and listening to each other’s testimony, in what the lawsuit describes as “an obvious attempt to present consistent and unified testimony” against Doe.

Doe was found guilty, but his lawyer, Andrew Miltenberg, argues that because the affair was rife with “gender bias,” the school “failed to conduct thorough and impartial investigation.”

[…]

Complete text linked here.